Drive a university vehicle which requires a commercial driver’s license.

Federal law requires that an employee must obtain and carry with them a Commercial Driver License (CDL) with appropriate endorsements if they operate:


  • Having a gross vehicle weight or weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.


  • Towing a trailer or other vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more and a gross combination weight or weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.


  • Designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation.
  • Designed to transport 16 or more people (including the driver).
  • Carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placards.

Required monitoring/training:

  • Physical exam by MSU Occupational Health, call 353-9137 to arrange. Please indicate if employee works off campus.
  • Participation in random drug screening program.
  • Review of training packet for commercial driver.